User Tag List

Thread: RH LH which one do I need? Beginers question.

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RH LH which one do I need? Beginers question.

OK I am very new to this sport. When purchasing a bow do I need a LH or a RH bow. I am right handed, but I hold the bow in my left hand and draw with my right. I would assume I need a right hand bow (which is actually held in your left hand).

Also, what would be the best method to determine the correct draw length for myself?

Thank you for your help ahead of time,
    mechanic_mike

Neg rep please
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holding with your left hand and drawing with the right. Ok, that's a right handed bow. Since you're new to the sport, I won't bother you with eye dominance. As for determining draw length, check out this thread in the same forum.

http://www.archery-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=94224

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply. I get two different results from the two different methods, but at least I have something to start with.
    I noticed you also posted the 'how to' thanks, I do appreciate it.

Neg rep please
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, take this with a good pinch of salt but usually the lower of the two results is what you start with and the higher is what you should be shooting once your form has settled in. It's not totally true but it's not total bull**** as well.

Learning the Ropes
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progen, since he's new to the sport wouldn't this be the time to determine his eye dominance before he has invested in equipment only to find that he's handicapped himself by shooting the wrong-handed bow?
    Jack

Neg rep please
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Floxter, it really depends on which school of thought you want to subscribe to. Regardless of hand or eye dominance, good scores can be attained even as long as you put enough effort into this sport. I myself am right handed but left eye dominant and I shoot left handed equipment. The Koreans and most of the local coaches are advocates of hand dominance overriding eye dominance since that'd get an archer progressing faster.

Grand Master Bowman
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally we do not now worry about eye dominance but go with the handedness that the archer feels more comfortable with. In general, this ends up with the archer achieving more than the older approach.

1st Class
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James Park wrote:

Normally we do not now worry about eye dominance but go with the handedness that the archer feels more comfortable with. In general, this ends up with the archer achieving more than the older approach.
    Agree with that..we usually try to go that way, particularly with "left-and righters", but I have seen two recent examples of right-handed-only beginners who were so left eye dominant that neither could close the left eye at all( ), even standing comfortably without a bow to worry about.
    Whichever hand they use, the left eye will take over.

Neg rep please
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to screw up my entire cheek to get my left eye to close and I refuse to wear a patch (no matter what recurve_boy says about pirates). I'm happy shooting left handed equipment. Didn't take long to learn.

Learning the Ropes
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Progen
    The Koreans and most of the local coaches are advocates of hand dominance overriding eye dominance since that'd get an archer progressing faster.
    I thought they were more a fan of making everyone shoot right handed. Have there been any good left handed archers come out of Korea?

wireless identity theft
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefeaterBBQ
    The Koreans and most of the local coaches are advocates of hand dominance overriding eye dominance since that'd get an archer progressing faster.
    I thought they were more a fan of making everyone shoot right handed. Have there been any good left handed archers come out of Korea?
    that was just because there was that whole being left handed will bring shame on your family so everyone just shot right handed.
    I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone.
    Charles Darwin, in the foreword to his book, The Origin of Species, 1869.
    We will bury you.
    Nikita Krushchev, Soviet Premier, predicting Soviet communism will win over U.S. capitalism, 1958

Neg rep please
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I meant was if a person is right handed, there's no question about this issue of eye dominance. It's going to be right handed no matter what.

Master Bowman
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I meant was if a person is right handed, there's no question about this issue of eye dominance. It's going to be right handed no matter what.
    I don't understand that sentence after reading the thread. And so long as you deny the coolness of pirates, you will never be agood shot. :P
    Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Learning the Ropes
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have me confused too. So you think they use hand dominance, but are they right handed no matter what?

Grand Master Bowman
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King
    James Park wrote:

Agree with that..we usually try to go that way, particularly with "left-and righters", but I have seen two recent examples of right-handed-only beginners who were so left eye dominant that neither could close the left eye at all( ), even standing comfortably without a bow to worry about.
    Whichever hand they use, the left eye will take over.
    I recall a Qld archer from ABA circles who was a lefty (and eye dominance) but shot right handed. He shot barebow and was generally instinctive in the true sense. He went to freestyle and his back to front eye dominance reference his right handed bow was so bad that he would lean his head over and look through the peep with his left eye. After months of practicing, he could properly shut his left eye and just use the right eye. He actually for the first time did it in the Drive Through at the old Yatala pie shop. Good pies.

It would be an interesting study long term to look at people shooting non natural eye dominance and their success. I wonder if the brain function is in anyway different and if any of this brain function is archery related. Sounds like a PhD topic.

Neg rep please
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have me confused too. So you think they use hand dominance, but are they right handed no matter what?
    Ok, taking the Korean coaches and the local state one where I am into consideration now. Regardless of your eye dominance, if you're right handed, you shoot right handed equipment. That was what I meant although the Koreans shoot right handed stuff regardless of hand dominance too. The local state coach is not that much of a Hitler although none of his students dare to go against his pro Korean stance on equipment. I only found this out when I asked him whether he had any left handed students who might want an intermediate level bow.

Thread Information