Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tinted sunglasses for Archery

Ive seen a few suggestions on coloured lenses for your sunnies while shooting.

I understand vermillion is the colour of choice for FITA targets but im not so sure.

Is there a prevailing thought on this or any thoughts in general?

Graham

In debt uni bum
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use yellow filters on my glasses, works pretty well, gives me really sharp contrast for the black ring of the target and makes the center come out bright even in cloudy weather.
    \"You want us to do WHAT?\" -- Ancient Chinese wall engineer

3rd Class
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything from brown to yellow is pretty nifty. Gray/green lenses work for some but not for me.

Longbow infected longbowinfected's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before getting multifocals to correct my failing eyesight a couple of weeks ago I used yellow tinted sunnies [firearms shooting glasses] with great success. They tended to even out light over the day. Used them for target, indoor and field. At field it really helped in those shade to bright light transitions.
    At target it helped in overcast and glary conditions. My eyes were not as stressed and were much more relaxed. Now that I have multifocals I am glad that I got them as they work really well for me.

Now that I have multifocals I have had great difficulty with long distance target with the early morning sun in my eyes such as at the Nationals in Canberra. I have also had problems whilst driving my car towards the sun in the afternoon and morning.
    Whilst in Canberra I bought and tried brown, grey, green clip on lenses. The brown worked the best for me but not as well as the yellow fully framed shooting glasses previously.

I have found a number of manufacturers on the internet selling yellow clip on lenses which are polarised and have ordered them. Including mailing they cost a little over $A10.

All the polarised clip on lenses work really well whilst driving my car. I expect the yellow clip ons to work really well whilst night driving.

Kevin

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, black Ray Ban aviators should fit the bill if you want the cooler look.
    Even the best don't always get it right the first time

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Ooi View Post
    Nah, black Ray Ban aviators should fit the bill if you want the cooler look.
    Sure if you are reading this thread in 1985
    Born at an early age under a wandering star, I systematically got taller and wider until at an age further in the future I stopped getting taller, but continued getting wider. This my friends, is the archer's paradox.

7. Thanks longbowinfected, Graham Kissell thanked for this post
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone would be different with what would suit them.. But I think keeping the tint as light as you can is a benefit.
    Green works for me..

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Mako Dark tint Sunnies with my prescription, Army Spec,
    Need it up here and blind as a mole with out them.
    Last edited by Darren.P; 18th April 2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Staff Shooter for Chili Strings.
    Black eagle Arrows
    Deep Impact
    Fita 90 PB 1244 Happy as.

Learning the Ropes
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a pair of Oakley Radar with a couple of lenses. I find the lenses with a yellow tint are great when it's overcast and really accentuates the black is sharp and brightens everything. My other lens is Iridium. Specifically for clay target/ rifle shooting. The target comes up well, but the main benefit I find is that everything is so sharp with next to no glare.
    Plus there is no nose bridge to get my vision when aiming

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Kissell View Post

Is there a prevailing thought on this or any thoughts in general?
    My thoughts are that there is actually no prevailing thoughts otherwise you'd see bunches of archers wearing the same tint.
    Most don't even wear sunglasses.

So it's back to what you think works for you.
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wear sunglasses, the bridge is always in the way.
    I doubt I'd wear them even if i could, unless the sun was in my face.

I don't need clarity, or improved contrast (the targets are stationary and already very contrasted, they're not a small clay pigeon disappearing into the field).

Learning the Ropes
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit I have not worn sunglasses a lot lately. Probably because I haven't seen them since last year Oakley use the iridium lens a lot for their sports specific glasses. they are kind of grey tint.
    I know a lot of people who can't wear sunglasses while shooting. It's definately not for everyone. I was just lucky my wife was in optics back then and I was able to try a few
    My reason for wearing sunglasses now is because my eyes are quite sensitive to glare and I often squint quite badly causing my face to tense.
    I don't think they are much more benefit than that.
    I believe if you don't require them they could be more of a hindrance than a help.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It amazes me when I see compounders shooting with sunnies.
    Surely looking through a peep is hindered.
    Style before fashion

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sight is only hindered in my instance by the frame of my glasses when i shoot my compound. The frame design and lens size both matter. I am trialing contact lenses due to this exact reason. Now finding a decent set of sunnies that don't have a giant bridge next to the nose is on the list. I am looking at Oakley M Pro Sunnies due to the reduced aka lack of a bridge between the left and right frame.

Here is a link to the sunnies if you want a looksee.

http://au.oakley.com/custom/pro_mframe

The custom option of making your own oakleys is pretty fun have a look at it

you can truly make some ugly or cool sunglasses.
    Last edited by Graham Kissell; 18th April 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look rather bling hideous to me, but if they would assist my compound archery, I'd wear them; however can't see evidence in favour.
    Last edited by Ozzy; 18th April 2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Style before fashion

Sagittarius senescentis markjam51's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a thread on here prior to the big crash where these issues had been considered ad nauseum.

I have really bad eyesight and did a bit of research a few years ago that suggested that there is some evidence for vermilion and yellow lenses enhancing vision in poor light conditions, and light blue tints improving resolution on very bright glary days (on the basis that there are more blue receptors than any other colour apparently).

However, it ultimately makes no difference to shooting so far as I'm concerned. Light is seldom that poor and I've learned that the big thing that makes a difference to shooting is learning to shoot both eyes open, particularly if glare is the issue. Most people who complain about glare in my experience shoot with an eye closed. The reason why glare is a problem for such persons came to my attention on in Question 57 of the FAQ'a in the Kisik Lee website (KSL Archery).

Dear Coach,

Thanks for your kind answer. I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year! and I would like to ask a question.

I would like to know if there is any difference between the one eye aiming and the two eye aiming. I mean what are the pros and cons of each of them, and what do you think is the better for a top archer?

thanks a lot!

The short answer to your question is to shoot with both eyes open. If one eye is closed it will weaken your concentration and strain your facial muscles. Further, both pupils contract and dilate together and if one eye is closed or covered with a dark patch, the pupil of the aiming eye will open wider, a reflex action, and admit more light. This creates glare in the retina and lessens visual depth.

Now, if people can't aim with both eyes open, which is usual the case if the dominant eye is on the opposite side of the dominant hand, called contra-lateral dominance, the dominant eye can be trained to stay open. However, it should be covered up with a translucent lens for about three month, if shooting with the dominant hand and aiming with the non-dominant eye. After about 3 months the brain should have been sufficiently trained to accept aiming with the non-dominant eye and both eyes can then be kept open.

I'm not as good at doing it as I'd like to be as it is almost automatic to close the non aiming eye while aiming. But if you can keep it open the glare is much reduced as claimed. If I lose the peep and the pin I just close the eye a fraction and your dominant eye soon takes over again.
    Et iurisperitus est iuvenis sagittarius

18. Thanks TrevorK, Ozzy thanked for this post
    3rd Class
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked gold-framed brown-lensed aviators for next outdoor season. There is just so much epic win in those glasses

3rd Class
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Australian recurve representatives who attended the Olympic Test event last year, had comprehensive eye testing done in regard to filters and sunglasses for archery. As I am the coach for 1/4 of the shadow team, I was forwarded the results. Put simply the recommendation, in an ideal world is for sunglasses with a high transmission rate between the wavelengths of 400-800nm. Ultimately, Addidas 3 & 5 offer excellent transmission, according to the report.

There were however, individual recommendations according to the archers specific eye differences.

That being said, the research was based on the assumption that clarity would improve performance. Yet, the archers are individuals with individual needs; surely what works for one (regarding tints and filters) would not necessarily work for all? Given that one of the Worlds top recurvers (Im) is legally blind, it seems that it may actually be the aiming process which holds more importance.

The were attempts made regarding "eye-tracking" during the shot. (If you google Ryan Tyack wears special glasses... you can find an image of Ryan during this testing. Yes, he looks like a cyborg) I am uncertain regarding the findings in this regard as I did not receive this data/report. I do know however that when Ryan released the string on his first shot he blew the camera right off the headset as his string made contact on release. Classic Ryan!!!

Another question I pose to the archers I coach is, "How does a Hooter-Shooter shoot so well when it doesn't have eyes (or a brain for that matter). Yes I know it is a device/machine. HOW it does it, is by doing the same thing every time; it is a stable platform. This I believe, is one of the MOST important aspects of shooting. Frame by frame analysis of an archer is testament to this. If you are "rock solid" at the point of release your chance of hitting the X is higher. If you can do this repeatedly, your score based result will prove it.

Everyone who spends a lot of time outdoors should be protecting their vision with quality sunglasses, eyes get cancer too! The choice of lens may really be trial and error, do what makes you comfortable, whatever works for YOU. Most importantly, just go and shoot; isn't that why you started archery? Don't over-think any part of shooting, just do it; purely for the joy of shooting.

Cheers!
    Better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all. At least then you will have been somewhere.

21. Thanks TrevorK, allanmeter thanked for this post
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C.O.N.O.C. View Post
    Most importantly, just go and shoot; isn't that why you started archery? Don't over-think any part of shooting, just do it...
    Well put. very well put.

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oakley active sunglasses

Thanks for sharing.I actually appreciate it that you shared with us such informative post,great tips and very easy to understand. Best of lucků.

Thread Information