Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Right hand archer, Left eye dominant

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    After some practice from a period of squinting & blurr, I have trained myself to shoot using my non-dominant eye, however I do only shoot compound. Not that difficult really.
    Recurve does take a little more.

I even have trouble drawing arrows from the target using my left hand
    Last edited by Ozzy; 17th September 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Style before fashion

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    My Dad went to the Olympics in 1976 shooting Right Hand but Left Eye dominant and shooting both eyes open. He shot close to 1300 in the 70's like that.
    Urban Archery
    Carbon Express
    Beiter
    Truball/Axcel
    Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    For anyone still having issues, another one for you to try, that works for me, is to close your dominant eye as you settle into the peep, then when you have your sight picture, open your other eye, if you keep focused on that image, you shouldnt loose it.
    The higher scores you shoot, the harder it is to shoot them.
    If you shoot the wrong spot, it will probably be an X.

Goldtip arrows
    Beestinger Stabilizers
    Killerbowstrings
    XSWings

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbs84 View Post
    For anyone still having issues, another one for you to try, that works for me, is to close your dominant eye as you settle into the peep, then when you have your sight picture, open your other eye, if you keep focused on that image, you shouldnt loose it.
    Makes sense
    Style before fashion

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbs84 View Post
    That's how I practice it, yet to master both eye's open, but I'm getting there

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whoknows View Post
    That's how I practice it, yet to master both eye's open, but I'm getting there
    That's it, if I really concentrate, I can draw, anchor, and shoot with both open, but it's just become habit, and don't even need to think about it now. The other week I was attempting to shoot with only one eye, and couldn't do it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    The higher scores you shoot, the harder it is to shoot them.
    If you shoot the wrong spot, it will probably be an X.

Goldtip arrows
    Beestinger Stabilizers
    Killerbowstrings
    XSWings

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I'll add my experience, for what it's worth...

I'm left eye dominant right handed. When I first took up recurve, I tried shooting both left and right handed with a barebow (no sight). I felt comfortable either way. At that stage I owned no equipment, but I'd already started looking around for left-handed stuff, thinking eye dominance would dictate over handedness.
    I can't comment much on why I ended up shooting right handed, other than to say that I started with lessons early-on and it was my coaches considered decision to have me shoot right-handed. If I understood correctly, I think it was partly based on an observation of better scapula control on my right-hand side.

As a beginner right-handed left-eye-dominant archer I felt the need to close my left eye during the whole shot to use the sight and then later, just for a moment when starting the aim. After a couple of weeks, I found that I could leave both eyes open and just use the sight in the left of my vision. There was a couple of occasions where unknowingly, I reverted to my dominant eye and yep, even at 20 meters I would completely miss the target. Now, I don't have to close one eye, blink, or even remind myself to use the 'left sight'.

From my experience as a recurve target archer it was a simple learning process to use my non-dominant eye. That may be different for other types of archery such as barebow or field - I don't know? I suspect that a majority of new archers would feel more comfortable with a bow in their preferred hand. Eye dominance should be understood of course, but it needn’t ‘dominate’ over handedness. Though for the true ambidextrous (if such a person exists) I wonder; if eye-dominance isn’t the determining factor, what physical attributes might determine the handedness of an archer?

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I am new but I have found lots of info about archery from here. Very soon I am starting it.

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I'm also cross dominant (RH, LE), but just recently started recurve target archery, and I'm shooting left handed. Both my coach and most of what I read said I should go for eye dominance, especially if just starting out.
    So far I've experienced two things:
    - Tried shooting yesterday with a right handed bow just to see if I'd truly target with my left eye, and sure I did, and also it was very awkward to draw with my right hand, it felt all wrong
    - I'm much-much more accurate when I keep both my eyes wide open. This might of course dissipate later on as I get better at shooting, but for now even squinting my right eye costs quite a bit of accuracy.
    So for now I'm happy I learned shooting left handed to begin with, though to be honest I constantly have that nagging doubt in the back of my mind.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Coincidentally, discovered a lad at my club who had already purchased a bow for his obviously most comfortable hand dominance, but unfortunately was made to feel guilty by the "coach" for not going with his other eye dominance.
    How relieved do you reckon he & his father were when I had a talked to them ?
    As mentioned previously, it can work well for lucky some, but this important issue should be part of a club's coaching format procedure.
    Style before fashion

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I'd have to say I'm good with either eye, swapping which is dominant when it's needed. I tend to right eye rifles, left eye handguns, and chose right eye bow.

Thread Information