Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Santa bought me some new toys..

It has been time to upgrade for quite a while, so two new cameras turned up at once.

The first example is a Sony RX100m5 with a single leading clip of 500 fps and then the rest at 1000 fps (frames per second)

Today is the first time I have seen the orange finish on the new Primes. Keep an eye out and you will notice this orange when you see it. It is something special.

Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you watch the raw 1000 fps stuff on VLC and back the frame rate down so it steps through at 0.02x, you can see wingbeats on flies and the shadows of the arrows flying downrange. Quite a bit of resolution is lost, but it's still a horizontal wipe down the sensor. I can quite clearly see arrow shafts bending and rest contact in the video.

Not that this didn't stop Crae smashing the X ring with it.

The other trick this little pocket camera has up it's sleeve is full 20 megapixel images at 26 frames per second... with a 1/32000 shutter speed. Yes. That's one more zero than you'd expect.

For anyone who thinks that they can hold at full draw until the buffer fills... haha. You can't. This can do that all day.

The other acquisition was a Nikon D500. Both of these cameras can do 4K video and I wanted to see how difficult the Nikon would be without a proper video lens. You can get around it, but it is limiting.

I used the 105mm Macro lens, opened up to blur things somewhat and then hoped that the focal plane was in the right spot and wide enough. Not quite, but good enough.

I caught something I haven't seen video'd before.

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, while all the stuff in the above video was going on and being captured at the target end, I was seeing what the RX100 can do with 4K video at the shooting end.

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried some sideways footage so I could get more view of the string.
    Then had to figure out how to turn in the editing software. This camera doesn't set an flag on footage like a phone does.

I spotted something interesting with Mick's release. The string scoots off his fingers sideways without actually moving the arrow. I've put the raw footage here. It's only 14 meg or so. If you look at it with VLC and press the - and + keys, you can slow the speed down and see exactly what is going on.

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically, some things lend themselves to high speed footage better than others.
    New Years day was spent with my adopted family.
    Rachel has a theatrical background and knows the value of presenting a regular activity in a manner not regularly seen.
    My friend Chris went first several times in order to ensure that the best settings were chosen so that Rachel could just fall in..

Thread Information