Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding stuff on the Internet.

One of the side benefits of being incredibly lazy is that you tend to learn how to do things the easiest way possible.
    In 1997, I was forced to learn to type.
    It sucked for three months but then life has been significantly easier since.

Many years ago, I discovered the wonders of hitting the Control and F key at the same time.
    On almost all windows programs, (but not all) this will open a small box somewhere on screen where you can type in a word that you want to find.

Often at work, I need to find specific codes or numbers. They exist in several large PDF files. I have no idea why, but previously someone would search through each of the files in turn.

Because I am lazy, I combined them all into one large file with Acrobat Professional and Control - F search through all of them at the same time.

This caused a lot of trouble at first, because if you give someone who is used to waiting up to half an hour an answer in seconds, they will come and visit your desk to make sure that you're not making **** up.

So, what if you're looking for information on the internet and get a bazillion answers about something.

For instance, specific rules about something to do with Archery Australia?

How about looking for any rules about camouflage, or any mention of camo in the entire website?

This is where being lazy is your friend. You can confine a google search to one specific website.

You only need to know three things. What you want to search for. What website and the magic command to confine the search.

The magic command is site:

This is how you'd search archery.org.au for any mention of the word "camouflage"

Note that google returns and bolds camouflage anywhere it's mentioned on AA's website.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  137.9 KB

You can do the same thing with any term that you want to look for. How about club uniforms?

Same drill as before:

I've highlighted the words when they turn up. Notice anything?

Views: 107
Size:  156.6 KB

Yep.

The first result is rated by the words being right next to each other and the search then pulls up results where "club" and "uniforms" are kind of close to each other.

Maybe a search of "club uniform" will be different?

Views: 103
Size:  140.5 KB

Well, yes. But not much.

Looks to be mainly dealing with everything BUT club uniform. Well, maybe club shirt?

Views: 100
Size:  139.5 KB

There's not much there at all that is in anything that has a section about rules.

So, let's go back to what AA says about camo.

Here's a hint. Spell stuff properly and don't use contractions.

Views: 101
Size:  151.6 KB

BLAM. Right away, you can see sections that are in Newsletters, Judges Newsletters, Constitution and Rules where camouflage is mentioned.

So, would you choose to look in the rules part first?

Let's click on the http://www.archery.org.au/portals/22/chapter7.pdf link.

If you have a regular computer, it will download the .pdf and display it somehow. You'll find the file is 13 pages long.

Do you have to read all of that? Most people hate reading.

Here you'll use the Control-F key to summon the Find window.

Then we'll type the word we're after, which is camouflage..

I didn't get to finish before it found camo

Views: 101
Size:  120.0 KB

Note that you can also click on Highlight All, Match Case, Whole Words as well.

In fact, if you notice, there are underlined letters. You can just press the underlined letter to make that function happen. Saves reaching for the mouse.

Most people don't know that a lot of commands have shortcuts.

In fact, most people don't know that the Tab key skips you to the next option when entering data in windows.

Watch how many people will log into a computer system by typing in their user name, then finding the mouse, moving the cursor to the next box, clicking in it and then typing their password.

The tab key will shift to the next box instantly for you. I guarantee that you'll know someone who has used computers for over ten years and never uses the tab key.

While we're at it, the next most useful shortcuts are the ones for copy and paste.
    You will know someone who has used Microsoft Office for over a decade and doesn't know the shortcut keys for copy, which is Control + C and paste, which is Control + V

I was asked once by a colleague how I knew all the shortcut keys. I asked her how she copied stuff, so she clicked on the Edit tab and the selections all dropped down. She clicked "Copy". I asked her to do it again and then read EVERY option on the drop down menu. Right behind Copy was Ctl-C

She'd been reading no further than Copy for her entire career using Microsoft Word and Excel. Since the early 90's.

Within five minutes, she had all the shortcut keys printed out next to her desk.

Anyway, I've hit Highlight All so that we can check stuff..

Views: 99
Size:  53.0 KB

See down the bottom where it says 1 of 1 match?

This means that you've found all the matched words in this specific document.

Now the difficult part once you know that there is a rule in there somewhere that says something about camouflage

See if it applies to you.

It would be pretty dumb having rules for the Olympics quoted at your club shoot..

No judge has EVER done that... So now that you know where to find the bits of information that you might want to know about, on the website that it's most likely to be on, does it make sense to spend less than 30 seconds finding the answer yourself, or would you ask someone else by spending a minute or more tapping out a question... and hoping someone will reply?

Sometimes it's just more efficient to be lazy and go find the answer yourself.
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

2. Thanks kjdave, xAndyx, Stats89 thanked for this post
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy! View Post
    Looks to be mainly dealing with everything BUT club uniform. Well, maybe club shirt?
    Try double quotes:
    "club uniform" site:archery.org.au
    to find the exact match. (No results, but you get the idea)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always considered myself quite a good Googler, but never new about the site specific search method.
    Thanks, it will be very helpful

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Shoot X's

5. Thanks Andy! thanked for this post
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning All.

It is like most things .. asking the appropriate question is a large help to getting the appropriate answer.

e.g. https://support.google.com/websearch.../2466433?hl=en
    Regards, Grahame.

Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

Kathy Kirby

Imagineering is Creative.

7. Thanks kjdave thanked for this post
    digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to slowly introduce all the variations, but yes, that link has all the tweaks to craft searches.
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the tools menu in Google to set the country to Australia, it cuts a lot of website off the list.

But the tip provided by Andy!, is great and i will be using this in the future.

Thread Information