User Tag List

Thread: Considering shot distribution long term.

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering shot distribution long term.

One of the issues with how the human mind works is how quickly we jump to conclusions based on very little evidence.
    People get emotional responses to things and we will start to favour decisions based on what we want to believe, rather than actually considering data.

It's fine to read this and think "Well, no Andy. I don't do it." however there are no exceptions.

We ALL do it and we do it constantly.

So rather than have this little fact up for debate, I thought that I'd use this in a way that you can all personally see it, use it and appreciate it.

It won't even be debatable because the proof is so overwhelming and in your face that it's undeniable.

It doesn't matter what kind of archer you are, or what kind of gear you're using.

If you want to see if you are inherently accurate or not, you only have to look at the number of data points you're using to make that decision.

As a human making a regular judgement call, there's a fair chance that you're going to make a decision based on a tiny amount of information.

So let's take a super easy observation which will be made of lots of data points.
    It will be consistent.
    It won't ever change.
    You'll be happy about it and it's so simple that you'll gloss over it.

Eventually, regardless of how good you are, you'll shoot the centre of the target out.

The only difference is the number of arrows required to do it.

At CAC, there is the Come and Try line on the left side of the grounds. They have always used foam target butts for ease of shifting in and out of the containers.

It's been ten years since I started archery for the second time. I've seen a lot of target butts get restuffed, recentred and replaced.

The dead centre of the target butt, typically the bit that is right behind the gold is always the part that gets shot out first.

The only difference is the time it takes. The beginners foam targets can last for years. They're typically put out of action because the foam centres can't be replaced any more, purely because the foam around them is so shot out that it can't actually hold the replacement centre securely.

I remember repacking all our box targets one year and finding one with a centre totally shot out two weeks later. It had a hole the size of a tennis ball can. I was amazed.

There's no denying it. The arrows hit the middle by average. At all distances, with all archers.

So when you look at your six arrows distributed across the target face, they are not a random distribution. They are six data points.
    You will feel about them in a certain way.

They can make you want to shoot six more arrows.
    They can make you want to pile all your equipment up and set fire to it.

Regardless, there is the inescapable fact that you're shooting the centre of the target butt out.

As you get better and more consistent, you just take less arrows to do it.

This is a photo of target butts at the Toronto Public Archery Range from http://www.cardiotrek.ca/

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  201.4 KB

(Toronto has a free public archery field. http://www.archerytoronto.ca/Toronto-Archery-Range.html )
    Last edited by Andy!; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:38 AM.
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read your post twice, can't figure out what you hypothesis is.

If you're trying to support what you said in your first sentence, you could simply have referred us to the recent election in the USA.

(By the way, the Toronto range is where I spent most of the '70s and '80s. Great memories.)

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stash View Post
    I read your post twice, can't figure out what you hypothesis is.
    It's not a hypothesis.

Eventually, regardless of how good you are, you'll shoot the centre of the target out.

The only difference is the number of arrows required to do it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to be confrontational, I was just wondering what the point of your post was. It seemed to me you were explaining something that nobody asked about.

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I explain things that nobody thinks about.

6. Thanks Stats89 thanked for this post

Thread Information