• Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What is the best finger tab

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

What is the best finger tab

I am currently shooting recurve and use a AAE Cavalier elite tab to shoot with, it is starting to look a bit worn out and I was thinking of a replacement. Some of the new ones have an extension to keep the palm straight with extra weights. the Fivecs saker looks good but the finger separator looks brutal and the Kisik Lee brass one apart from being expensive looks heavy. What would be a good top end finger tab to shoot with. I am a fairly keen club shooter and in my mid 50's so I want a tab that will basically be the last tab I ever buy. The rest of my gear is decent quality without going top of the range. I either shoot Carbon ones or ACC shafts pulling 36 pound.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I've been shooting the Fairweather Tab, I love it. It's nice and light, comfortable

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Shoot X's

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I'm confident my Fairweather tab is the last I will ever buy, but that's partly because I don't shoot often, and it's mainly compound

It is very nice though - I prefer it to my Win & Win 360, and much prefer it to my Soma Saker, and Cavalier.
    I have no problem with alcohol-free days; I have them all the time. It is the evenings I have trouble with.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Well that's 2 votes for the Fairweather tab, I think I will hold out for a bigger sample range, thanks guys

JAFFA
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I used the KSL Gold
    3 Prices in life
    1 The price you paid
    2 The price you told her you paid
    3 The you pay when she finds out the real price you paid

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us that who do

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I use the Fivics Saker 1. If it is the best tab I don't know, I think it's personal preference.

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Schuh View Post
    Well that's 2 votes for the Fairweather tab, I think I will hold out for a bigger sample range, thanks guys
    The significant problem with your poll is that you need to take notice of only people who have used all the different finger tabs.
    I've used the Cavalier and the Original Win and Win.

I got to see the Fairweather tab go from prototype to production and the thing that struck me was how it felt to wear one that was correctly finger sized.

It's not often that you get a product from a master sculptor, artist, jewellery designer and archer. I think anyone who has shot with one will give a very biased answer.
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I have tried the AAE, KSL gold (aluminium version), and the Fairweather. The KSL gold is a great tab, and was the first one (that I'm aware of) that offered an extender on the back of the palm plate to help stop your hand collapsing (like the new Win & Win one). I had the aluminium version as a) I have a nickel allergy that is sometimes set off by brass, and b) the brass one was too heavy for my liking. I like the 3 elastic finger loops, but the elastic perished within 6 months, and is annoying to replace. Also it feels like there are a zillion screws that need to be inspected and tightened on a regular basis.

The Fairweather tab doesn't provide the same amount of hand stabilisation as the KSL, and you can't move the shelf. However, the leather is excellent in quality, and much more robust than the KSL leather. Also, it's much easier to make your own replacements from leather offcuts as the KSL has an insane number of holes. The Fairweather is a great lightweight tab with no frills. It's my favourite out of all the tabs I have tried.

Learning the Ropes
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeGirl View Post
    I have tried the AAE, KSL gold (aluminium version), and the Fairweather. The KSL gold is a great tab, and was the first one (that I'm aware of) that offered an extender on the back of the palm plate to help stop your hand collapsing (like the new Win & Win one). I had the aluminium version as a) I have a nickel allergy that is sometimes set off by brass, and b) the brass one was too heavy for my liking. I like the 3 elastic finger loops, but the elastic perished within 6 months, and is annoying to replace. Also it feels like there are a zillion screws that need to be inspected and tightened on a regular basis.

The Fairweather tab doesn't provide the same amount of hand stabilisation as the KSL, and you can't move the shelf. However, the leather is excellent in quality, and much more robust than the KSL leather. Also, it's much easier to make your own replacements from leather offcuts as the KSL has an insane number of holes. The Fairweather is a great lightweight tab with no frills. It's my favourite out of all the tabs I have tried.
    I'm currently using (and like) the Black Mamba Venom with the Axios long spacer. Its a bit like the KSL in so far as it straps to two or three fingers. The strap is nylon webbing though, not elastic (which I think is an improvement). The worst part of the design is that the friction of the webbing passing through the finger spacer means uneven tension in the strap over the first and second fingers. It seems less of an issue as it has worn in (or perhaps I've gotten used to it). There are lots of screws, but they don't come loose in my experience (and if they did I'd just put Loctite on the threads). The worst thing about the screws is not the number, but the fact that they have 1/20in Allen key heads which is a size missing from my imperial Allen key set. It doesn't have an extender on the back (though it is available on other Black Mamba models). I've not seen the need for an extender but perhaps it helps some people. It comes with a shelf but I don't use it.

Before that, I used a Decut finger tab (marketed under different names in different parts of the world it seems) heavily modified. I replaced the face leather with cordovan, the backing synthetic leather substitute with real suede leather, changed the width and shape of the finger spacer with epoxy putty and didn't use the shelf or pinky finger rest.

I've not tried the Fairweather tab yet, though I plan to if I can get one big enough to fit. It looks like a clever design. I'm a bit concerned about the built in shelf (I've not been using one) and the finger separator doesn't extend as far as the Axios.
    Last edited by iandall; 1 Week Ago at 04:25 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    I must admit I had not seen the Black Mamba before and it looks ok.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    For a simple design, nothing current is better than the Fairweather.

In terms of sheer achievement, nothing has outperformed the original Cavalier Elite, designed by Dick Tone, which is currently used by Ki, Bo-bae and many other top ranked shooters, was used to set the 1405 FITA Round record score of Park, Sung-hyun, and was used to win multiple Olympic and World titles by both men and women.

Thread Information