Thread: How to know whether cables reached their end of life

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

How to know whether cables reached their end of life

The cables of my compound bow currently look like this where they are contacted by the part which keeps them away from the arrow:

Name:  23n0YwB.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  234.9 KBName:  V3a2y3E.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  206.8 KBName:  zpbh35J.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  211.4 KB

How much of their lives have they lived? How long to cables last? Is there typically serving string around the part of each cable that contacts the part which keeps it away from the arrow? On my bow, that's obviously not the case. Should I add some?

Same images in higher resolution:

http://i.imgur.com/zpbh35J.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/23n0YwB.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/V3a2y3E.jpg
    Last edited by johannes1994; 1 Week Ago at 05:04 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    that's normal, cables wear with time. give them a rub down to remove any grit, wax them moderately, and they should last 1-2 years at least depending on the amount of shooting you do. it does depend on a lot of factors though, like what material they are made out of, the cable slide, the bow itself (some are hard on cables) - all you can control is to keep them maintained and prevent any deterioration through neglect.

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Should I wrap them in serving string? In not: Why not?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    you can serve cables to prolong their life, but it has to done right or the cure is worse than the disease. that means pressing the bow to remove the cables, tensioning them on a jig, and serving them quite tightly with a very fine diameter, hard wearing serving. I also give them a bit of a wax afterwards to help them slide.

if you don't do that, you risk the serving separating under wear, or turning the draw cycle into something that feels like you're winding up a boat winch.

I also think it's better done from day one if you are going to do it, the times I have tried serving worn cables to extend their lifespan haven't been a good outcome, because you create a "lumpy" cable. yours might be OK, you would have to clean and dewax them to see if it is worth the effort. probably best just to shoot those out and think about it when you replace them I think. strings are an archery consumable, not an investment.

Beginner
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Oh, you are right. That could in fact increase friction a lot.

How do I know when my cables should be replaced? I don't exactly want them to rip and slice my face open when drawing that 65 pound bow one day.

2nd Class
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Have you got an archery shop or club near you? I really think you should take this to someone who can see it in person and show you what to do/what not to do.

digitus impudicus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johannes1994 View Post
    Oh, you are right. That could in fact increase friction a lot.

How do I know when my cables should be replaced? I don't exactly want them to rip and slice my face open when drawing that 65 pound bow one day.
    The most simple solution would be for you to replace the cables when you personally feel like they need replacing because you're worried about it.

Your personal level of safety acceptance will be what affects you the most.
    People come on here with one broken strand and ask what they should do. They get told that they shouldn't shoot their bow and to replace it immediately.

I make no secret of stripping four strands out of my stock hoyt bowstring to slim it down for proper nock fit and shooting it like that for almost a year.

However, I know the level of forces involved with serving strings where most people have no idea.

If you're worried about it, just have them replaced. If you're worried about cost, you're probably in the wrong sport.
    Last edited by Andy!; 1 Week Ago at 10:53 PM.
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johannes1994 View Post
    they aren't dangerous in the slightest in their current state. from a flat out safety perspective, when you pop a strand, think about it soon. until then it's just a little natural wear.

Thread Information