Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adjusting draw length

Came to thinking about how easily you can adjust the draw length for various makes of bow:
    - Hoyt Command Cams: nice and easy with modules, don't need a bow press.
    - PSE U1: nice and easy with modules and different string pegs, but you do need a bow press.
    - Matthews: real trouble here. About the only choice is to twist the cables. If you purchased the wrong cam you are in a bit of trouble.

With both the Hoyt and the PSE you can change the draw length without changing the rest position of the cam, which I think is a good thing. You seem not to be able to do this for the Matthews, which seems to be a limitation.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Guru at our club (Greg) the Mathews draw length lack of adjustability is not an issue because you should just get it right before you buy your bow.

Need a single cam without draw length adjustment? Go for Mathews Innovation.

An interesting point too is that bows often advertise 3 inches of adjustment, 26", 27" and 28"

Think about that!!

Also I beleive that the Hoyt Single Cams are adjustable with a press too, while the PSE V5 is also adjustable, but you need a press. Either is fine in my book.
    Urban Archery

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Grand Master Bowman
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems boys they offer an exchange service on new bows until you get it right.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good! Buy a bow, 1/2" out, send it back, wait a week, try again, 1/4" out try again. 6 months later you want to try a different alignment so you send it to the factory again. Sorry, you are right, sounds reasonable to me!
    Urban Archery

Grand Master Bowman
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The better things in life are worth waiting for, Keep trying boys you might find a weak link in the mathews armour but I doubt it

Winston Smith
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you came within 1/2 inch of correct draw length then it would be fine just to do some string twisting to get it spot on I would have thought.

Any one who has seen the cam on my bow would notice that I should have got a smaller cam years ago (it is turned in to the bow quite heavily). Grouping in the gold at 90m, so I'm not unhappy with its performance.

All this just confirms the reasons why a beginner should try a few bows out and shoot a cheap (if there is such a thing anymore) bow until he/she gets these issues sorted out. Unless you are growing, your draw length shouldn't change much.

I would be very dissapointed in any dealer who sold a brand new Mathews (or Hoyt or PSE for that matter) at $$$$$plus to a complete beginner, trouble is, you see it happen (in fact we had a case at Sherbrooke last week of a guy who wants to shoot target but was sold a Bear hunting set up)

By the time you buy a Mathews, you should as Greg AKA the Guru says, be able to get it right (you will need a healthy bank account too though)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time you buy a Mathews, you should as Greg AKA the Guru says, be able to get it right (you will need a healthy bank account too though)
    Disagree. More than often people make major changes while owning a bow. draw length is so vital to shooting well that unless you get it right first time it could cause major problems with how well you perform with that bow.
    Urban Archery

Grand Master Bowman
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may surprise you to know that all Mathews are 1 inch adjustable, If you need to fine tune any more than that either your club mates or your pro shop is doing a crap job of setting you up

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may surprise you to know that all Mathews are 1 inch adjustable
    Yep, it does surprise me, Greg AKA the Guru said that Mathews weren't adjustable and the only way was to twist the string...

...So if there is 1" of adjustment built in, that's better than nothing, but for example, I've recently gone through a bit of a change as we do from time to time, and part of that change was to increase my draw length significantly and straighten out my bow arm somewhat...my CyberTec was able to accomodate me because I bought a bow with my draw length in the "middle" of it's range. As I understand it, if it were a Mathews I would have to buy new string/cable and cam? Is that correct?

...or just buy a Genisis
    Tiger Brand Coffee is a real treat. Even tigers prefer a cup of it to real meat!

Grand Master Bowman
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Luke If you are changing more than an inch you change cam only, string and cables stay the same. the Australian dis. can in 9 times out of ten exchange a wheel for you if you need to go more than an inch.

Thread Information